Discovery Roxbury Navigation Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
Discovery Roxbury Navigation
 

Discover Roxbury Toursites

The Dillaway Thomas House built in 1750 as a parsonage for The First Church of Roxbury. During the revolution it was headquarters for General John K .Thomas and the Continental army during the siege of Boston in 1775.

In 1927 it was purchased by the City of Boston who wanted to use the land for a new school. Local residents opposed its demolition. It is now headquarters for Roxbury Heritage State Park

The Edward Everett Hale House was the home of Edward Everett Hale, Unitarian clergyman, abolitionist and humanitarian reformer. Hale was also the author of Man Without a Country.

Built in the Greek Revival style during Roxbury’s early period of suburban growth, it is now the home of Napoleon Jones-Henderson, a textile artist and art collector. On display is an extensive collection of art form the African diaspora.

Eternal Presence, 1987, bronze marquette. Created by John Wilson this idealized head has what Wilson describes as "a symbolic black presence infused with a sense of universal humanity."

The sculpture draws upon various traditions including Mexican muralists, the Olmec heads of ancient Mexico and images of contemplating Buddhas.

First Church of Roxbury has been in continuous use since The First Religious Society of Roxbury built its first meetinghouse at this site in 1632. John Eliot, the first minister of the church earned the name Apostle to the Indians because of his ministry to local tribes.

The current meeting house (the fifth), built in 1803, is an outstanding example of the Federal Meeting house style. It is the oldest frame church in Boston. The Unitarian Universalist Urban inistry operates academic and social support programs for youth at the First Church.

Home of Ella Collins Little, sister of Malcolm X
Ella took Malcolm into her home after his father was lynched and his mother was institutionalized following a nervous breakdown.

Ella remained close to Malcolm all his life. She converted to Islam, paid for Malcolm’s trip to Mecca and supported Malcolm’s Organization of Afro-American Unity.

Museum of the National Center of Afro-American Artists

Dedicated to the collection and exhibition of black visual arts including "Aspelta: A Nubian King's Burial Chamber", featuring the world's only scale recreation of a Nubian tomb interior supported by more than fifty 2,600 year-old objects,. the museum is a rare example of a Victorian Gothic style villa, built of Roxbury puddingstone in 1872 for prominent industrialist Aaron Davis and designed by architect Alden Frink.

Rocklege was the home of William Lloyd Garrison leader of the anti-slavery movement in Boston. Deeply influenced by the charismatic Black leader David Walker, Garrison fought all his life not only for the end of slavery but also for equal rights and integration of African American citizens. Rockeldge was built in 1840, and Garrison retired there in 1864.

In 1904 the sisters of St. Margaret purchased the house for Black Women prohibited from using city hospitals Until 1988 it housed St. Monica’s nursing home for Aged Black Women. Today Rockeldge is the home of the Episcopalian Convent of the Society of St. Margaret and the DeBlois Conference Center.

 

Shirley Eustis House built in 1747 by William Shirley, Royal Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony.

It is one of four remaining Royal Governor's mansions left in the country.