|Lenny Zakim Fund Challenge Grant|
|If you are unfamiliar with a challenge grant, we would like to provide some insight about what a challenge grant is and how it works. After reading the details below, please help us meet the challenge with a new or increased donation today. Click here to donate or mail your donation to Discover Roxbury, P.O Box # 191805 Roxbury, MA 02119. Thank you!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CHALLENGE GRANT
What is a challenge grant?
Challenge grants are capacity-building grants intended to provide a nonprofit organization with a tool to leverage new and increased donations from current donors, and from potential new donors.
What is the goal of a challenge grant?
A nonprofit organization’s long-term sustainability is dependent upon the ability to engage and cultivate an active and diverse support base. We want you to use the challenge grant to encourage and energize donors beyond us. The challenge grant is a tool to help your organization’s staff and leadership mobilize additional resources to help build long-term sustainability.
How does a challenge grant work?
The Lenny Zakim Fund only matches new and increased donations made in response to this matching challenge. We do not match dollars that have already been pledged, nor do we match contributions already received, prior to the beginning of the grant term.
What makes challenge grants so valuable?
A primary component of an organization’s long-term sustainability is a diverse funding base. A challenge grant helps build a nonprofit’s fundraising capacity. The challenge component is a call-to-action for other donors to support the organization. It encourages a broader and deeper base of donors to become part of the organization for a long time to come. The challenge grant component encourages an organization to go above and beyond the usual fundraising.
What kinds of donations are eligible to be matched by the challenge grant?
• First-time cash donations from individuals, businesses, foundation grants, or corporations raised in response to an appeal using the LZF challenge.
• Increased cash contributions from current individual, business, foundation supporters, or corporate donors raised in response to an appeal using the LZF challenge.
• New or increased donations received in response to a live-ask at a sponsored event, an email, social media, or direct mail campaign, raised in response to an appeal using the LZF challenge.
• Renewed gifts, raised in response to an appeal using the LZF challenge, from lapsed donors who have not made a gift for over 12 months prior to the date of the grant award
Note: Increased contributions will be matched only for the portion that is above and beyond a current donor’s previous or annual donation.
What kinds of donations are NOT eligible to be matched by the challenge grant?
• Sponsorships may only be counted if they meet the above criteria and, in addition, the only portion that may be counted is that which exceeds the fair market value of the sponsorship
• Donated products or services (in-kind)
• Raffle sales
• Ticket sales
• Silent or live auction revenue
• Money already solicited, pledged, or donated
• Money that the organization would have raised without the match