Discover Roxbury’s International Cultural Exchange Program:
• Works to build capacity into Roxbury’s artist community, which includes visual and performing artists, architects, and arts administrators.
• Makes the world a smaller place by giving participants of different cultures the opportunity to work together.
• Provides support for emerging and established members of the artist community to travel to international artist communities, and for our foreign peers to travel to Roxbury and the Greater Boston area.
MISSION AND STRUCTURE
Discover Roxbury invites emerging and established members of the artist community and art enthusiasts from Roxbury and Greater Boston to step away from their usual routines and be part of a cultural exchange. With our daily lives often pulled by competing demands, the International Cultural Exchange is designed to allow participating individuals the time and space to focus on the arts and on themselves as artists.
The program aims to provide an environment where participants can experiment with their craft, develop their focus, test new ideas, and simultaneously engage in public dialog in a way that is considerate to the artist’s time and process. Guided conversations led by Executive Director Derek Lumpkins will draw the community of artists together over conversation about the artist experience, talking about our own and each other’s art, the role(s) of artists in communities, how community changes impact the roles and visibility of artists, and how artists represent themselves to patrons and the public.
The initial days will focus on interactions with local artists and group visits to cultural sites. Later days will be reserved for discretionary time for socializing, focusing on work, and independent exploration of the host city.
Applications will be considered on their merits. The program seeks applications from dedicated emerging and established members of the artist community who create work of exceptional quality, and whose work and career is at a level to benefit from international exchange with peers. We also seek members of the public who will support the artists among them and add to the experience of exploring and creating art in a foreign setting.
The program is especially interested in participants who have not yet traveled to foreign countries with the specific purpose of exploring and bridging social, cultural and artistic divides. Emerging and established members of the artist community from Roxbury and underrepresented communities in the Greater Boston area will receive priority consideration. Students are not eligible.
In September 2015, the program will to travel to Barcelona, Spain with eight to twelve (8-12) participants interested in pursuing international experiences.
SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS (FOR ARTISTS ONLY)
ABOUT DISCOVER ROXBURY
For more than 15 years, Discover Roxbury has served as a not-for-profit, community-based, multidisciplinary organization that supports working artists to create and exhibit new works; develops new patrons for Roxbury’s artists, businesses and entrepreneurs; and connects arts to community. We have become the prime catalyst for creation and a growing base for emerging, mid-career and established visual and performing artists in Roxbury.
Discover Roxbury’s Executive Director, Derek Lumpkins, will lead the exchange with organizational staff. Lumpkins, a Roxbury native, photographer, and a former resident of Japan and the United Kingdom, has traveled extensively around Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and North America. He also studies Spanish and Japanese as time permits. Lumpkins’ familiarity with cross-cultural and international experiences and the art-making process, combined with the specific expertise of key staff, will assist participants in understanding and contextualizing their experiences as they explore their talents and ideas and make new contacts in an unfamiliar environment.
• Spanish classes prior to departure.
• Guided tour of historic Barcelona.
• Visits to some of Barcelona’s cultural sites and institutions related to the arts and architecture.
• In-person meetings with artists and arts administrators in Barcelona.
• Free time to work with local peers and to exchange techniques and ideas related to the medium of choice.
• Time to experience local cultural festivals.
• All participants are responsible for their own visa, travel, living and housing expenses.
• Participants will be responsible for transporting and/or purchasing supplies, as necessary.
• Participants will participate in a post-exchange activity in Roxbury and/or related to ArtROX! programming, such as an exhibition, artist talk, school visit, or other activity.
• Media and Press: A vital part of the exchange program is public awareness. Participants are expected to partake in press interviews, media tours and other such requests.
• Participant fee: $2200 (subject to change) Fee includes:
- All lodging.
- Entrance fees to select Barcelona sites and institutions related to the program’s goals.
- Four dinners.
- Ground transportation within Barcelona.
• Fees do not include:
- Other meals, which can be made at the residence or eaten locally around Barcelona.
- Airfare (estimated at $1000) and transfers to and from the airport.
1. Encourage dedicated artists with the unique opportunities afforded by travel and the exchange of ideas and expertise between peers.
2. Enrich creative development.
3. Expand Roxbury and Greater Boston’s access to the art of other cultures.
4. Enlarge the understanding of US culture and life in the world.
ELIGIBILITY (ARTISTS ONLY)
• A review panel will select the participating artists.
• Only applicants who apply through this call will be considered for the program.
• Participants who are awarded a place must wait two years before applying again.
$2200 Program fees
December 1, 2014
Applicants notified of acceptance on a rolling basis.
December 30, 2014
$300 deposit due
February 7, 2015
April 4, 2015
September 13-23, 2015
Please complete the application online only. Applications received by mail or emailed as attachments will not be accepted. You may begin the application by clicking on the button below.